I see gullface is off because he's blown all his money on turfing out pieces of stale treacle soda out his car window in the hope of attracting a glaucous-winged (or an Olrog's Gull!). It may be up to me to save this blog from those two other quitters. On the other hand they haven't been very nice to me so I might quit as well. Something stinks - there's a cheesy aroma to all of this.
On this day......
- 1271 – Kublai Khan renames his empire "Yuan" (元 yuán), officially marking the start of the Yuan Dynasty of Mongolia and China.
- 1879 – Paul Klee, born
- 1912 – The Piltdown Man, later discovered to be a hoax, is found in the Piltdown Gravel Pit, by Charles Dawson.
Whilst all the above might be true it surely pales in comparison to the earth-shattering events that occurred in Northern Ireland ....on.....this....day...:
- Northern Ireland's first Greater Yellowlegs was at the Quoile Pondage (1955)
- 3 Waxwing were near Banbridge (1963)
- A Black Brant was at Dundrum (1990)
- A Surf Scoter was at Tyrella Beach (1990
- A female /immature Marsh Harrier was at Reedy flat, Co. Armagh (1999)
'The pictures I contemplate painting would constitute a half-way state,and an attempt to point out the direction of the future without arriving there'