Thursday, 23 December 2010

Back to the Future? 23rd December



This is like the groundhog day multiplied by itself into some kind of infinite repeating black hole inside my brain - why do I get all the guff jobs? I'm hardly a rookie, those other two had better watch out. When I jumps ship over to Larry, Harry and Barry they'll know all about it. I can tell them the 'big' secret, the one Gullface and Chickenboy don't want anybody to know about! Intrigued - cheque or postal order for a mere £2.75 (or a pint of cider) will buy my allegiance and I'll tell you all about their grand plan!

On this day.....

  • 1938 – Discovery of the first modern coelacanth in South Africa.
  • 1947 – The transistor is first demonstrated at Bell Laboratories.
  • 1972 – The 16 survivors of the Andes flight disaster are rescued after 73 days, having survived by cannibalism.
Happy birthday to Alexander 1 of Russia and Eddie Vedder
So there you go, not half as interesting as this!
  • A Little Gull was shot at Belfast Lough, the 1st Northern Irish record (1847)
  • A Waxwing was at Omagh (1957)
  • A Grey Phalarope was at Ardglass Harbour (1982)
  • A female Red-crested Pochard was at Kinnegoe Bay (1999)
News from the front: the two meat-eaters are eating so much they're in danger of getting scurvy.